13: Prepare for Bug Bites


Gross picture, I know. That big bite made the inside of my ankle swell up! At first I thought my ankle was inflamed because I was walking too much. But, alas, I've realized that I just react really badly to bug bites.

Every time I'm out late (participating in night life, going to the beach, getting back from the bus station late) or early (out for morning runs, or getting back from the bus station... early, I guess!), I get one or two bug bites. This picture is just one of them. Right now I have a huge swollen red patch on the back of my left thigh from a particularly brutal one.

Everyone reacts to bug bites differently (the locals don't seem to have any!), but it's a good idea to bring some cortizone cream with you. Or, get some ice from the Pencion's freezer, put it in a bag, and ice those itchy spots. Just, whatever you do, do not itch. Way easier said than done, I know.

An alternative to bringing cortizone cream (or spending a lot of money on a tube while in Europe) is to use home remedies, which take advantage of products that are cheaper to buy or that you might already have. I have to credit my mom with these treatments--after I told her about my bug bites, she sent me a link to an awesome website with many, many ways to make a big bite stop itching! Here's the website: Over 40 mosquito bite itch relief tips.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
 

Studio vs. Siesta Design by Insight © 2009