4: Bring Your iPhone



That's a screenshot of my iPhone showing the travel apps that I got. They were all free. They've already proven instrumental in helping me pack efficiently, start to explore Spain, and visualize my flights. I'm not using my iPhone for calls because AT&T won't unlock it.

So why am I bringing my iPhone in the first place? Why bring two cell phones when I'm only planning to use one for calls within Spain? Doesn't that go against the very principles of packing light?

It's because the iPhone can do so much more than just make calls and send texts (in fact, the use of apps on any mobile Apple device rivals the use of its intended functionality). I can set alarms, use it to track my expenses, and take notes on the fly. Its camera is good enough that I can use it to take quick pictures. In moments of boredom, I can play games or listen to music. Most importantly, I can use the phone with just wifi to Skype with friends and family back home for free. I can post blog entries right from my phone! All I have to do is put my iPhone in Airplane Mode (so that it doesn't even try to find a radio or 3G signal, ensuring that I don't make or receive any calls or texts while abroad) and find a wireless internet hotspot.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
 

Studio vs. Siesta Design by Insight © 2009